Four key sites across the UK feature on the 2014 World Monuments Watch, which was announced on October 8th 2013 – a diverse group of 67 important but ailing sites from 41 countries and territories across the world all facing an uncertain future and in need of urgent support. The Watch draws international attention and support for some of the world’s most remarkable and fragile cultural heritage, and the 2014 selection includes Battersea Power Station, Deptford Dockyard and Sayes Court Garden, Grimsby Ice Factory and Sulgrave Manor.
WMF Britain completed its first public art project in the North East of England during the summer of 2013. This community-focused initiative transformed historic buildings across the region into family-friendly artists’ studios complete with children’s art carts and Artists in Residence, and celebrated artwork inspired by the region’s rich heritage in an exhibition at Durham Cathedral.
Giving our Past a Future: The Work of World Monuments Fund, Britain
The work of World Monuments Fund Britain was celebrated in a unique temporary exhibition at the Sir John Soane’s Museum at the end of 2012, which showcased some of the charity’s most significant projects in the last 15 years.
Click on the images below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
Stowe Lions image gallery
Restoration of Stowe's Eastern Pavilion
Latest film release
- RT @Guggenheim: Today 10 Frank Lloyd Wright sites were nominated for @UNESCO status, including the Guggenheim: http://t.co/cT2lFwEo6K http:… 17 hrs ago
- RT @Salvem: La CE admite la denuncia de EU contra el plan de El Cabanyal http://t.co/EvQOJzkYKj @WorldMonuments @europanostra @PlacidoDomin… 21 hrs ago
- On the blog: recap of recent #sustainabledevelopment forum in #Yangon #Myanmar: http://t.co/aiN6tV5faO #preservation #travel #Burma #history 1 day, 23 hrs ago
- Demolition again threatens Paul Rudolph's great Orange County Gov't Center: http://t.co/J3JirkbuCv #brutalism #preservation #modernism 2 days, 22 hrs ago
- Since 1996, the #WorldMonumentsWatch has helped hundreds of historic sites. See some success stories: http://t.co/xxn91jo2K5 #preservation 2 days, 23 hrs ago